Living in Spain


Spain is one of the most popular countries among tourists. Its climate, geography, culture, gastronomy and cultural diversity makes it to be among those places written on people’s bucket list. Many people visiting Spain want to come back over and over again, and some of them even find very appealing the idea of living in Spain. If you are among this last group and wish to settle in Spain, our Law Firm can guide you, advice you and represent you in all legal proceedings. Our goal is to make your first steps in Spain the right ones. From your long term visa to opening a bank account, we have different legal solutions for you and your family, if applicable.

SpanishEmbassy counts with a high profile team, ready to help you gathering and verifying all the necessary information to stay in Spain. Before coming to Spain, you must evaluate your purpose for this point will define the path to be followed, for instance you may want to continue your studies or internship; do some tourism; work on your own; work for a third party; reside in the country without engaging in any lucrative activity; invest in property; or invest or set up your own business. This element will set the path regarding the type of visa you must apply for.

If you are not 100% sure of which type of visa is the best for you, you can always have a consultation with our attorneys in which your options will be evaluated and you will be assessed on the requirements and the application to a particular visa. The evaluation is done upon consideration of your profile and the existent documentation. Once you are clear about the type of visa to be requested, we shall proceed to gather all the requirements. Most of the documentation must be translated into Spanish by a certified public interpreter and legalized or stamped with the Apostille so these can be valid before Spanish Authorities.

When submitting your requirements there are certain documents that are the same in all the cases such as birth certificate; marriage certificate if applicable; application form; criminal record certificate; international health insurance; among others. While there are other documents that must be submitted according to the type of visa. Let’s take a look on the following four examples:

  1. For a student visa, the applicant shall provide the acceptance letter of the educational institute, plus prove of sufficient funds to cover the expenses while in Spain.

  2. For a wealth visa, the applicant shall prove that has sufficient funds to cover his/her expenses while in Spain, and of his/her family if applicable. This proof could be a bank statement proving that you have a substantial average balance over the past months.

  3. For a property visa, you must prove that you have carried out a significant investment in property in Spain very recently. The amount to be considered as significant investment is around 500,000€

  4. For a work visa, you shall provide the contract of employment issued by the company requiring your services.

You must bear in mind that tourism visa or short-term visa will have a validity of 90 days, that is to say you shall leave the country for it is not permitted to breach the time settled. Long terms visas are renewed annually, provided that the reasons for its concession are still the same.

Once you are granted the visa and you arrive to Spain, you have 1 month to obtain a residency permit and a NIE number which will be really important when issuing any transaction or document in Spain. Similarly, you may need as well to get a NIF or CIF and register in the Social Security if you aimed to perform a professional activity. Ask our attorneys as well for our conveyance and incorporate company services. Contact us and be assessed by professional. Come to Spain legally and enjoy of your stay.