Study in Spain


Why choose Spain for your studies abroad?

Spain is one of the most requested and most attractive destinations for foreign students. In the school year 2011-2012 900,000 student choose Spain for their studies, but why?

student and teacher looking smiling at the library

If you are thinking of studying in Spain, these are relevant facts you need to know:

Universities prepared for an International demand

Spanish universities are well prepared to receive foreign students. They are aware that Spain is the destination country for thousands of Erasmus students, since it occupies one of the top positions of most requested destinations, and for Latin-American students it’s a popular choice both because of the language and the quality of the courses.
The universities have international relationship departments providing information about campuses, degrees, accessibility and they also have a lot of detailed and clear information on their websites. The foreign student can always count on assistance and information and knows where to go to resolve his doubt; he can compare and decide according to his needs and preferences.

Educational Possibilities

In Spain there are currently three levels of further education: degrees, masters and doctorates. Degrees include official titles recognized throughout Europe and specific degrees backed only by the universities that teach that degree course. Masters bring more specialization on top of a degree and take one or 2 years and finally there are doctorates which have a duration of 4 years.

Apart from its prestigious and internationally recognized universities, Spain is also well known for the quality of its business schools.
Which you choose is largely dependent on the objectives of the student.

Which documentation do you need to study in Spain?

You need a student visa, which the student needs to apply for from his country of origin, and in case you hail from a non-EU country you need medical insurance, valid for the period you’re going to remain in the country.
Within a month of arrival in Spain you’ll need to apply for a student card and the NIE (Número de Identidad de Extranjeros).

Life Style

All of the above sums up to an attractive life style for students. The Spanish are open and likeable people, who enjoy spending time with family and friends. They love to go out and are always making plans to hang out with friends; be it for drinks or a small bite to eat or to enjoy the immense variety of cultural and leisure activities on offer. Additionally, the good weather usually is along for the ride whatever they decide to do.

Top 10 student Visa Questions.

The following are the 10 most frequently asked questions about visa requirements we’re being asked at the start of a visa application. We hope you find this helpful!

To come and study in Spain, various requirements are asked from you and there always is a series of processes to go through. One of them is to obtain permission to enter in to Spain and remain there for the duration of your studies. This means you need to get a student visa.

We’ll give you more information as well about the documentation you’ll need to present for a student visa.

1) What is a student visa?

A student visa permits the holder to remain and study in Spain as well as conduct research or training, participate in student exchange programs, do an internship or volunteering work.
The student visa in Spain will be valid for a duration equal to the length of the course you’re enrolling in.

2) Do students from EU countries need a visa to study in Spain too?

Citizens from the EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland do not require any authorization or visa to study, reside or work in Spain.
Important note: Students admitted in another member state of the European Union can complete or even start their studies in Spain without additional visa requirements (article 44 of the Royal Decree 557/2011 of April 20th). This extension is also applicable to their family members. Within 1 month of their arrival date in Spain, they should apply for the corresponding ‘Autorización de Estancia’ (model EX-00) in the Foreigner’s Office of the province where they are residing.

3) Do I need a student visa if my course an stay in Spain is shorter than 90 days?

Short term student visas in Spain are valid between 91 and 180 days. If the course you’re enrolling in has a duration of up to 90 days you need to apply for a Schengen visa. The short term student visa can under no circumstance be renewed from within Spain, so the student needs to return to his country of origin to apply for a new visa.

4) Can I work while studying in Spain?

Yes, you can work while studying in Spain as long as the work is compatible with following the course. You need to obtain a work permit before you start work which you apply for in the Foreigner’s Office. It would not be required to apply for a work permit for internships that form part of the course.

5) Which courses can I take when obtaining a student visa?

Having a student visa for Spain, you can study the Spanish language, university degrees, post-graduate courses or research studies as long as you don’t draw a salary from the university or Spanish organization providing the course or research opportunity. In case you draw a salary from the Spanish university you should apply for a residency visa and a work permit.

6) Can I travel to other Schengen countries holding a student visa?

Yes, student visas do allow travel. Since April 5th 2010 student visas (both short and long term) permit travel to the other Schengen countries up to a maximum of 3 months per semester counting from the first entry into the country.

7) Which are the Schengen countries?

The Schengen countries are: Germany, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italia, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Norway, Netherlands, Poland, Czech Republic, Sweden and Switzerland.

8) If I go to Spain on a tourist visa, can I get a student visa there?

No, the student visa has to be applied for from your country of origin.

9) Where can I apply for my visa to study in Spain?

Student visas for Spain have to be applied for in the Spanish diplomatic missions and the Spanish consular offices in the country of origin from the applicant.

10) Can I be denied a student visa for Spain? What can I do if this occurs?

The diplomatic missions and consular offices can decide to deny a visa. In this case they should notify the applicant but they are under no obligation to motivate that decision, unless in the case of residency visa for family reunion or to work for your own account, both for residency and transit visas.

In case the visa is denied, this decision can be appealed before the same diplomatic mission or consular office within a month of being pronounced and an administrative appeal before Supreme Court of Justice in Madrid within 2 months.

Even though you can present your application by yourself, it is always better to use a good spanish immigration lawyer (LINK A ALGUNO DE LOS DESPACHOS), who will have access to the Spanish authorities and have knowledge on how the application process goes, as well as the immigration legislation. The attorney speaks their language and knows how the system works, making the application process to be easier and simpler for the applicant.